START OF SCHOOL DELAYED
Out of an abundance of caution and based on guidance from the Department of Public Health (DPH), Pickens County School District will delay the start of school for both traditional school students and Pickens Virtual Academy students due to recent COVID-19 exposures at Hill City Elementary and a spike in community spread.
START OF SCHOOL DELAYED
School will begin on August 17, 2020, and more details will follow over the next week or so. All Open House activities, extra-curricular activities, and device distributions are postponed. This updated information will be posted on our district website, Facebook page, and through Infinite Campus. The health and safety of our students and staff is our number one priority.
PARKING PERMITS DELAYED
Parking Permit purchases are postponed at this time. We will provide an update on August 6th. Thank you.
NEW INFORMATION FOR WBL
Click on the QR code for instant access.
2020-2021 STATE FFA PRESIDENT
EMMA LONG, SENIOR PICKENS HIGH SCHOOL
Class of 2020
Congratulations and Best Wishes for a great summer!
The American Legion Scholarship is posted outside the counseling office and the deadline is extended to March 23, 2020. Check out other scholarship opportunities too!
Our School Mission
The mission of Pickens High School is to help all students realize their potential by providing the best educational situation possible.
School Advisory Council
Local School Councils (LSC) were established as a result of Georgia's A+ Education Reform Act of 2000. This legislation required that all schools in Georgia establish Local Councils by October 1, 2003. The purpose of the LSC is to bring communities and schools closer together in a spirit of cooperation to solve difficult educational problems, improve academic achievement, provide support for teachers and administrators, and bring parents into the school-based decision-making process.
All members of the School Council must:
- Maintain a school-wide perspective on issues.
- Regularly participate in council meetings.
- Participate in information and training programs.
- Act as a link between the school council and the community.
- Encourage the participation of parents and others within the school community, and
- Work to improve student achievement and performance.
Pickens High School senior Nathan Hamilton has been named the school’s 2020 PAGE STAR Student. The Optimist Club of Jasper, the local STAR program sponsor, announced the honor. Hamilton selected Mr. Keith Petty as his STAR Teacher. Petty has taught for 25 years and currently teaches Literature and Composition at PHS.
Nathan is the son of Greg and Kim Hamilton of Jasper, earned the recognition as the STAR Student for academic achievement and performance on the SAT.
- Student Learning is the primary goal of the school.
- Students' learning needs should be the primary focus of all decisions affecting the school.
- Parent, students, educators, school board and councils, and the entire community are responsible for implementing and achieving the school's goals.
- Each student is a valued individual with unique physical, social, emotional and intellectual needs and may require special services or resources.
- A safe and physically comfortable environment promotes student learning.
- A student's self-esteem is enhanced through developing and sharing mutual respect among students and staff.
- Challenging expectations and a supportive environment increase individual student performance.
- Students learn best when they are actively engaged in the learning process.
- All students can learn, achieve, and succeed when provided developmentally appropriate learning activities.
- Cultural diversity increases student understanding of different people and cultures.